Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Themed Measurement Activity

If you're looking for something to do tomorrow that will tie in the Easter holiday with your math curriculum take a look at this measurement activity from my new Teachers Pay Teachers store!

We completed this activity last week, and the kids really seemed to enjoy it!  They, of course, love hands-on learning like most kids do!  I numbered 20 different plastic eggs (I have 18 students) and filled them each with a string that I had already measured.  We started out by each choosing one egg, measuring the string inside to the nearest half inch and recording the length on the exit slip.  We did this three different times, and each time the kiddos had to have a different egg.  After measuring all three strings, they found the total length and then had to write specifically telling how they found the total length of all 3 strings.  We ended the activity by estimating 3 more items that would be about the same length as the total of all 3 strings.

This was a fun activity for the kids and something that we can include in our writing portfolios!  Hopefully it will be of some use to others!  If you'd like to download this freebie, you can get it at my TPT store!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this resource! I am so excited to find another 3rd grade blog. I too teach 3rd grade. I am a new follower.

    Stop by and visit when you get a chance!
    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what? You won my giveaway!!! I don't have your email though! Email me at adventuresinthird@gmail.com! :)

    Oh and I'm following your blog now too!

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Krista! I'm glad you like it! I'm a new follower for you now as well! You're blog is really cute!!

    Amber, thank you again so much for letting me know I won! I'm still so excited! The resources I won look great!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea because it's so hard for students to EXPLAIN how they find answers. I am also happy to find more third grade bloggers. I'm your newest follower!

    Christi ツ
    Ms. Fultz’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have won my clip art shop giveaway but I need your email. =) You can just email me at glauren4556@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank you so much, Christi! We're working on explaining our answers and using details in my classroom - but then again, when aren't we? I took a look at your blog, and I'm following you now. I can't wait to read all of your posts about writer's workshop! I hope to implement it into my classroom next year!

    I'm so excited to have won another giveaway! My second one ever and both in two days!! This must be my lucky week!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete