Sunday, June 3, 2012

Technology in the Classroom

I'm linking up today with 3-6 Free Resources and Run! Miss Nelson's Got the Camera to tell you about my favorite websites and you tube videos to use in the classroom!

Websites for the Classroom


1. I love using Wallwisher with my kids!  Teachers can create an account for free and create walls.  Students can post short messages on the wall on "sticky notes".  You can set it so that you have to approve each post before it shows up on the wall.  The best part is, they don't have to remember any log-in info!  I used this to have the kids post short reviews of the chapter books they read.  Here's a screen shot of one of those walls!

2. We use Spelling City at my school, and my students use it at home, so it has to be on the list!  We can add our weekly spelling lists to the site and the kids can practice by playing games at school or at home!

3. Waltke's Web is a great website for teachers who use the Scott Foresman Reading Street Series!  There are lots of resources to print and use and links to websites that are related to the stories.


You Tube Videos for the Classroom


1. "The Tale of Mr. Morton" and all of the other School House Rock videos!  I love School House Rock, and my kids really like it too!  "The Tale of Mr. Morton" is a video we watched about subjects and predicates.


2. The "Helping Verbs Song" and similar videos!  Near the beginning of the year, we learned this song and sang it while we were learning about helping verbs.  Then we made our own video.  My kids still remembered it and could sing it in May!!



3. The History Teachers have some great videos for older students (high school or maybe middle school), but I just had to include one!  They take popular songs and change the lyrics to tell about historical events and people!  Definitely not suitable for my little kids!  Here is a video about Henry VIII!



Go over to  3-6 Free Resources and Run! Miss Nelson's Got the Camera to link up!  And don't forget to enter my giveaway!  Just a few days left!

5 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower and a fellow 3rd grade teacher! I use Spelling City in my classroom. I am definitely going to check out Wallwisher. It sounds like a great tool for book reviews. Please come and check out my blog if you have a chance.
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up. Love your videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using Wallwisher! I can't wait to explore the possibilities in third grade. Thanks for sharing!

    Christine

    leapingintothird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all...wallwisher is great! I love it! You can use it for book reviews, to respond to a prompt, answer a question about a story, and so much more! Go sign up now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great websites! I am a fellow 3rd grade teacher and a blogger too! I would love for you to drop by my blog when you get a chance!
    Patti:)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete